Monday, May 20, 2013

Is It Working?

I get lots of folks asking if the radiation spheres and chemo are working. I will not really know until the end of June when another scan (MRI or PET) is done. What I can tell you is I think it is working, I think I am in the 25%, I think the large doses of three chemotherapy drugs are worth the side effects. Why? Because I feel the best I have felt in months. I am able to eat regular food; the pain in my back and hips has decreased to the point I can walk, play with the kids, and be 'part' of the household; and mentally I feel better (likely due to decreased meds). I feel like I have my life back.
Tonight I go to have my head shaved. My hair is falling out fast and furious and it is gross! I wear a bandana to keep it contained. I forgot how sensitive my scalp becomes as my hair comes out - it is bizarre how it feels.
My husband's cousin has recently joined me in Stage IV cancer-land after previously being in remission from breast cancer. She has an amazing attitude and I know she will join me in outlier-land. On her Caring Bridge blog she ends most entries with a funny anecdote and I am going to steal her idea (hope you don't mind, Cory!).
Rory is trying to learn knock knock jokes, and practices with Kyan. Yesterday morning during breakfast the bigger boys said knock knock over and over. Then, out of no where little Crosby, who only has about 4 words that he uses, says "knock knock." We all cracked up, Crosby broke into his million-dollar smile, and then proceeded to say knock knock all day. It was adorable.

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I too believe that you are the 25%.
I'm glad you are feeling well enough to enjoy your family and friends. Keep up the positive attitude and thoughts. I'll add your cousin in law to my prayer list.

Unknown said...

Love to hear stories about the kids. Hope you continue on your path to feeling good. You are always in our prayers
Brigid and Bob

Deb Roberts said...

Knock knock

Great news that you feel a little better!