Saturday, June 1, 2013

Chemo update

I went through my second round of chemo this week. Due to the holiday, I had four days of treatment rather than five. The hope is that a day less of treatment will help limit the toxic effects I experienced last time. Dr. S is also being proactive by having me get a Neulasta shot (which will prevent my white cell count from plummeting) and I am also using an oral swish my friend Courtney recommended to him. The swish will hopefully limit the mouth ulcers - so far, so good.

That being said day 6 of my last cycle is the day everything went to hell for me, and tomorrow is day 6 for this cycle. Fingers crossed.

I am feeling some severe fatigue this cycle. As in having to sit down and rest after climbing a flight of stairs and only being able to lift Crosby with effort or help. It is frustrating, but I am trying not to be overcome by it.

Last complaint - I had my Sandsosatin shot in my bum and that hurts! I thought I was having severe hip pain again, but I think a large part of it is this shot. Icing it helps, but it hurts for several days and radiates across my back. Grrrr.

Fun story: We opened our pool a couple of weeks ago. It was 57 degrees last week and the older boys readily went in. This week it was up to a balmy 65 degrees and they could not wait to get in! Kyan was practicing his cannonball and Rory would only jump with his goggles. Crosby wisely stayed out of the water with mom and dad. The boys stayed in until they were bluish and happily (for mom and dad) fell asleep quickly tonight.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Sounds like the boys are onto something! Ice that hip in the 60* water!

Beth said...

I can only come to one conclusion, based on the pain and fatigue this round of chemo is causing... it must be kicking some cancer cell arse!