Friday, September 27, 2013

Retreat

Earlier this month I attended a retreat for women with cancer at Silver Bay on Lake George. For those of you who know me well, you know this sounds like an unlikely journey for me to go on voluntarily. I had seen the brochure at the cancer center, but never picked it up. Then one chemo day the cancer center social worker, Karen, popped in my room and...well, I am not sure what happened, but by the time she left I had consented to go.

Silver Bay is a beautiful retreat. When I was a teenager I attended several church gatherings there. Two high points from those days: tipping a canoe with my friend Rama and having my youth group leader, Dennis, teach us a little about astronomy out on the point. My takeaway: who knows what is out there, but it is breathtaking.

I digress. Surprise!

The women's cancer retreat was very rewarding. The simple fact is, I know you care and you love me and would help in any way you can, but at the end of the day (most of) you are cancer-free and I am not. These women all had cancer. These women understood the chronic pain, the apprehension before each scan, the worry that 'is this weird breathing the cancer spreading or just some allergies?'

It was a relief to let the walls down for a while. To not have the pressure of being an 'inspiration' because I am willing to keep fighting this dreadful disease. To belly dance in a chair (not so pretty). To easily laugh with others about side effects that others may feel awkward even talking about.

I hate to admit it, but I am thankful Karen came into my room that day. Whatever voodoo she worked to get me to Silver Bay, I liked it.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Silver Bay is gorgeous! So glad you had a great experience!

Anonymous said...

I am glad Karen worked her voodoo on you. She is a great lady, as are you of course. I am so glad that you were able to go!

Judith said...

I was beginning to think you were superhuman, so I'm half that you found a place to go and just "be". Even Wonder Woman needs a break

Di said...

Sounds like the retreat was the thing to do. I think you can always relate better to someone who has walked the walk. Those of us who haven't are still walking with you. You just have to guide us !