Saturday, October 20, 2012

Thankful

Last November I wrote one of these thankful statements each day over a period of several weeks. I feel it is worthwhile to publish them again, though this time all at once. I must note that this list is missing many people (in particular my brother, my in-laws, my brother-in-law and his wife), but copied below is the original series of statements.


I am thankful for all the members of the West Glens Fallls EMS, the Queensbury Central Fire Department, and the Warren County Sheriff's office who were at our home within minutes of our 911 call. We didn't learn most of their names, but are thankful they left their homes on a Saturday night to rush to ours.

I am thankful for our neighbors ~ the ones who came to stay with our boys when we rushed to the hospital, the ones who brought us food, the ones who came and sat with us, even when we couldn't speak, and the ones who have been there in numerous other ways.

I am thankful for the ER staff at Glens Falls Hospital who were able to restart Cora's heart and stabilize her for her trip to Albany. Again, we did not learn many names, but appreciate the nurses who worked around us so we could hold Cora's hands, the doctors who answered our endless stream of questions, the aide who held Cora's respirator tubing in place for well over an hour, the clinical manager who came in one her night off to support our family, and all the other staff who helped try to save our baby girl.

I am thankful for the quiet moment of Cora's baptism. It was the simplest of baptisms with our minister, my parents, the hospital staff, Kelly and me; the water was in a paper cup from the tap;  and for a moment the pace slowed down as Cora was baptized.

I am thankful for Amy, Cora's first pediatric ICU nurse at Albany. I could tell you about many ways she helped us, but to me the most important was the steady support she provided us in the minutes and hours after we learned Cora would not survive.

I am thankful for Krystal, Cora's second PICU nurse. She helped us with the delicate process of moving Cora from one set of arms to another, she arranged for a room and food for our parents and children; and she cried with us when Rory asked when Cora was coming home, during the day as she saw our anguish, and at night when she said she would see us in the morning and I broke down telling her we wouldn't be there.

I am thankful for Rebecca, Cora's last PICU nurse. Recebba guided us through the darkest moments of our lives. I wish I could tell you of all the things she did, but, quite simply, I think writing of them, and asking you to read them, would be too much, and take away from the grace and compassion with which Rebecca cared for Cora.

I am thankful for Claire and Larry, who guided us through the process of making arrangements for Cora. We went to Claire and Larry completely overwhelmed, and they helped us with every step. Claire also invited us to come be with Cora as often as we wanted, moments for which I will always be grateful.

I am thankful for the support of my friends. The ones who came over right away, the ones who gave us a little space but were there when we needed them, the ones who brought dinner, the ones who sent cards, the ones who emailed, the ones who contacted us via Facebook, the ones who called, the ones like you.

I am thankful for my parents. I have always been close to them, but since the twins were born, and since we lost Cora, they have been here to help when I didn't even realized I needed their help. I am blessed to have them, and words could never convey exactly how much they mean to me.

I am thankful for my husband. I cannot imagine any part of my life without him. This path we now walk is nothing we ever imagined and all I know is that I could not do it without him.  "Love is a great thing, a great good in every way..."

I am thankful for all of the people who have embraced the sand pictures for Cora ~ family, friends, and strangers. I hope those who do this are as moved by the process as we are by the results.

I am thankful for my three little boys. They have brought smiles, light, and laughter into our home. I love watching them as they grow independently and as they develop their relationships with each other.

I am thankful for Cora.





5 comments:

angela said...

I am thankful for people like that too Suzanne, thankful that they were all there for you and your family.
I am also thankful for getting a chance to walk into Mommy and Me and getting a chance to know you.

Beth said...

I am thankful that, with the help of everyone you mentioned here, you have found a way to fight through the past year. You may be badly bruised, but you're still fighting. Keep fighting, my friend. We're all in your corner.

Unknown said...

I never had the pleasure to meet you, but I worked with your mom and friends in the Snuggery. Once hearing of Cora's passing through former coworkers, I found your blog and have followed your story. Since then I have prayed for you and your family fervently. I am so inspired by the way you write. Through such hard times your sense of humor always shines through. May God be with you and your family in these extra difficult coming days as you remember your sweet girl. I hope you are surrounded by the comfort and warmth of family and friends.

Mary Stevens said...

I continue to hold you and your family in my heart, Suzanne and am wishing that you will be given the strength to face these sad days with the knowledge that there are so many people - friends, strangers, acquaintances alike who keep you in their prayers and hope you find continued healing in both body and spirit.

KelliGirl said...

Bethie said it best....so ditto. I am so proud to be your friend.