Saturday, April 13, 2013

Treasure

Kelly makes breakfast on the weekends. For me a "weekend" breakfast used to mean instant oatmeal or if I was really living it up, an egg. Somewhere along the way, Kelly started making breakfast. Eggs and toast; eggs and cinnamon rolls; pancakes, sausage, and fruit. My children think such breakfasts are normal. It is Saturday: bring on the french toast, bacon, and freshly made orange juice. Weekend breakfast is part of our routine, so imagine last weekend when Rory bit into his apple, yelped, and started crying.

The culprit was his first loose tooth. He was not impressed. It hurt. And then it stopped hurting and he stopped wiggling it and I thought: "Yes! If he is not interested in it, then maybe it will take a few weeks to fall out. That happened to our friends' daughter. I won't miss it."

But just in case, this week my dad picked up a gold dollar coin at the bank  for me. (What is this $10 a tooth junk? It is the tooth fairy...isn't she supposed to leave coins or trinkets? And $10 for a tooth? Don't even get me started more than I already have...) I told Kelly where the tooth box the dentist gave Rory was most likely to be found and handed over the coin.

I didn't think much of it after I left for my procedure Wednesday. The tooth was never mentioned when I spoke to Rory or had updates from the grown ups, and it slipped my mind. Then, this afternoon Kelly sent me a text of Rory's mouth, wide open, with a gaping hole where his wiggly tooth had been. I called him and he told me his tooth had "broken" off and we debated about what the tooth fairy might bring. He is hoping for treasure...I think he'll be happy.

I was sitting here this evening moping about what I am missing ~ weekend breakfasts and bloody teeth falling to the floor and realized I need to heed my own advice ~ if you can do nothing to change something, let it go, refocus your energy. I am off to try to focus less on what I am missing, and more on treasures I can savor while I am away.

5 comments:

frieda said...

Dang, Suzanne, did I ever need that refocusing advice this morning. Thanks for that.

Bob Singer said...

Emily told us: "You get what you get, and you don't get upset."

Beth said...

If you can refocus, then there's no reason why I can't! Thanks friend!

Meg said...

My take away from this is that Kelly's breakfasts make your teeth fall out.

angela said...

I like what Meg said!