Thursday, August 23, 2012

Cora's Sand Pictures

Last Monday a local doctor, Matthew Dunn, spoke at a local outdoor business about his multi-day ultrathons. My mom was driving me home from the hospital and even though I was exhausted and on some pretty serious pain meds, I wanted to go meet him. For those of you who have seen Cora's sand pictures, you may recall one done in Nepal and that her story was shared by the writer with a refugee who then prayed for her. The writer was Matthew Dunn. So I went, heard his great stories, and then got to meet him and thank him. It was only a few moments, but they were very powerful to me.



The Friday before my thwarted swim race, I hopped onto Facebook where one of my college housemates, Bridget, had posted a picture of Cora's name in the sand. It was at the starting point of the race with the note that she had gone down to the beach to do it, but someone else already had done it. Months ago I asked my friend David for the address of the beach so I could write her name there. Turns out he wrote it for me since I couldn't and Bridget took a picture. My people...they are breathtaking in their acts of kindness and remembrance.



Cora's first sand picture was sent to us on November 2 by our recklessly thoughtful friend Meg. A few weeks back she had the idea of making a map showing where Cora's sand pictures have been drawn around the world (there have been over 200). The map is a little clunky, but I think it is amazing to see how her pictures have spread around the world. I can't even get my head around the fact that we lost her 10 months ago today.


View Sand Pictures in a larger map

4 comments:

Meg said...

...it's like you knew I needed this today...

:)

liz austin said...

Amazing!

state farm said...

This is so AWESOME (like you)!
I love the fact that all these people, some whom you have never met, stopped and cared enough to do this for you and your family.
What a neat remembrance for her brothers as they grow older.

KelliGirl said...

I love the map - it makes me smile. Just as I do when I unexpectedly find a picture in my Inbox to share with you...Cora is never forgotten! People really can be good and kind. :)

Love you! XOXOXO