Tuesday, November 20, 2012

How are you feeling?

I have all of these ideas in my mind, but my brain doesn't work quite like it used to (more on that later), so I have been using avoidance. Why write if I can't get exactly what I want out? But if I don't write, my sentence structure will be even more of a disaster. So I will write about something simple and go from there.
[Speaking of sentence structure, Michael Chabon's new book has a sentence that runs about 3 pages, contains several thousand words, and is grammatically correct. Show off.]

Now that I am out and about again many people ask me how I am feeling. I go for the easy-out answer and answer that I am feeling pretty good, tired at the end of the day but that I am not sure if that is having three small boys or recovery.

The truth is I do feel pretty good, but I am not where I want to be. I am in physical therapy to help with the neuropathy (numbness in my fingers, toes, and soles of my feet which is a side effect from chemotherapy). I started by re-learning how to balance on one foot ~ a bit of a challenge when you cannot really feel if your foot is grounded. I am now working on some simple yoga-style balance postures. Here is what is fantastic about this whole thing: My fingertips are numb, so when I am in a balance posture and start to wobble, the natural thing is to touch my fingertips to the wall, but that doesn't register as well as it should. I figure that sooner or later, I am going to take a header. Try not to judge me too harshly when you see me with a big bruise on my forehead.

My strength and stamina are both at about fifty percent. I can make it through a swim practice, but my speed is not where it used to be. I have also started spin class again. I go, I muddle through, I am thankful for my padded seat cushion (because, as I learned after my first attempt to return to spin, still healing).

In terms of day-to-day life ~ chasing the kids, running errands, making meals, laundry, etc. ~ that feels normal again. The boys' nanny has decided to go to work for another family and I was concerned that I would be exhausted without her help, but it has been fun. It feels great to be able to truly re-engage in life again. Rather than just being a presence in the house (an exhausted, stressed, ball of nerves presence), I am back to being part of our family.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Wow, I had no idea those things were happening. I have little no no understanding of the effects chemo can have on a body - and I hope I never do. While I never want you to suffer, struggle, or take a header - and I'll definitely laugh if I see you with a bruise on your forehead - you're here, you're raising your boys, enjoying life with your hubby, and blessing us all with your friendship. For that, I am truly thankful.

Meg said...

Slow and wobbly? I'll take it!!

angela said...

So glad that things are getting back to normal (including poops in the tub!) Even if you are only at 50%, slow and steady wins the race! And with never having chemo I have no grace and still suffer when I spin. Talk about going after it! Spinning!?!?! Good for you, that is tough no matter what! You really are Wonderwoman! No worries... I wont tell your secret!