Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Making It Through

A huge thank you to everyone who helped us through the helliversary. The cards, messages, and calls were all welcomed, and filled with stories of how you remembered Cora. One of the things that caught me very off guard was a Facebook post started by one of the nurses who took care of Cora when she was born, and then many of the other nurses who took care of her commented on how they remembered caring for her. It was lovely to read how she was rocked and cuddled by these amazing women when I was not there.

Over the past year, many people have reached out to help us in ways we didn't even think we needed. One of these people is a woman from my church. I didn't know her well, but this summer my mother brought me a box with a gift from her. I opened the box and in it was a beautiful handmade pillow with Cora Lily's name on it. My mother told me that several years ago this woman lost her daughter and a friend of hers had given her a similar pillow. Over the years her pillow became worn. I thought the pillow was lovely, but it wasn't until a few days later that I understood how her pillow became so worn.

Last Sunday was All Saints Sunday, which is a day to remember those who have passed into Heaven. After the service the woman looked at me with a smile and said: "We'll see our girls again."
It was exactly what I needed to hear.

2 comments:

angela said...

So sweet.

Judith said...

Just sending virtual hugs to you. I think you're a remarkable woman.