Thursday, January 31, 2013

Radiation Spheres

The majority of my posts lately have been health-related. So boring! But, here is another one:
I had round 2 of my new chemo on Tuesday. The dosage this time was about 2/3 my previous dosage and I opted to use the patch (definitely helping, though I had a few usage issues which I think is preventing it from being as effective as it could be) to help with the nausea and also had an extra shot of atropine to help keep me from living in the bathroom. I don't have much of an appetite now, but I am able to keep fluids in my system, so that is a very good thing. I am tired, but not completely out of it like I was during round 1. I will have one more round next week and then I will take a break from chemo and I will start a directed treatment for the tumors in my liver.
As you know, the tumors in my liver a growing in size and number. They are now to the point that my liver function is out of the normal range. So, with the help and support of Dr. S., Tuesday afternoon (post chemo) Kelly and I drove down to Albany to meet Dr. Gary Siskin. He is an interventional radiologist and he will be part of a team that injects spheres of radiation into my liver to treat the tumors. The process is very cool, and the geek in me would like to regale you with how it works, but instead I will just tell you the spheres go under the trade names Theraspheres or SIR spheres and if you have insomnia, you can go check them out. (This is a pretty straightforward video of the process: http://www.sirtex.com/us/clinicians/about-sir-spheres-microspheres/mode-of-action/.)
I will go for a hepatic (liver) angiogram and trial run on 2/13. If that is successful ~ they need to be sure only a limited amount of radiation will leave the liver for me to be a candidate ~ then about 3 weeks later I will have the spheres injected into the more diseased lobe of my liver. About a month after than they will repeat the process for the other lobe. The side effects are described as flu-like, but due to the radiation I may not be able to be around the children for a few days (I will meet with the radiation oncologist on 2/14 and at that point learn more about that restriction). Two weeks after the second lobe procedure, I will be able to start chemotherapy again.
I feel good about this. I like the people involved, I like the fact I am on the schedule (no hemming and hawing and discussing with 20 other people), I love the fact it has a high success rate and a low incidence of side effects. Let's get this next phase started!

5 comments:

Judith said...

Good luck with your radiation spheres. The liver is no joke. I know from my drinking days how crappy it is to have it functioning below normal. Crossing my fingers for successful treatment.

Renée said...

Tumors be gone!! Prayers for this new treatment and its absolute success!! I guess I have a little geek in me too, it is an amazing process!

stickerlady said...

What an AMAZING and WONDERFULLY Hopeful procedure!! Glad you are Going For it!!!

Di said...

Wow, ms.Daisy...sure am learning a lot of medical info from your blogs...almost too much to comprehend let alone deal with. Thats my girl. onward and upward.

angela said...

I feel like your roller coaster ride of SMAC ing that cancer's butt is picking up speed!