Saturday, January 12, 2013

Tough Days

Ever since my stay in the hospital, I have been having a difficult time. I hadn't been feeling well for a few weeks before being in the hospital, and my hospital stay was a horrible experience and since then I just have not been myself.

I was admitted to the hospital for fluids and meds, in part because I had a horrible stomach bug compounded with severe pain in my abdomen and back. The nurse who admitted me, Chris, was fantastic. He helped me get settled, started my meds, checked in on me, etc. Sadly, he was only my nurse for about 6 hours.

Due to the pain medication I was given, I was not allowed out of bed without an aide. And a reminder: I was in the hospital, in part, for a nasty stomach bug. My first morning I buzzed for someone to come so I could use the bathroom. No one came. I buzzed again 10 minutes later. No one came. After 20 minutes, someone finally came. At that point I was nearly in tears, in massive discomfort, and feeling humiliated over the bathroom.  Later that day brought more of the same, my IV pump beeped for 25 minutes before someone came to turn it off (I was fighting a severe headache brought on by one of the pain meds), after I buzzed twice. I asked to take a shower. Four hours later I was brought towels. I asked for a bland diet when I was allowed solids. I was brought the regular meal. Meanwhile, the background noise in the hall was a staff member telling the patient in the room next door that HE WAS NOT ALLOWED TO GET OFF THE COMMODE. Over and over.

And all I could think was that when this gets really bad, when I am really sick...this is where I will have to be? These people are who I need to trust to care for me?

Then came Dr. Chan and all that crap, combined with the exhaustion brought on by some of my meds as well as the pain that stays with me each day, and I must admit to having some really tough days. A cancer survivor I know recently started a blog and part of it is about finding her sunshine. I am really struggling with that of late.

9 comments:

*Sue said...

Suzanne, I am so sorry to read of your pain and ache, and heartache, and craving for sunshine and relief. I am sorry these are such tough days. I pray that somehow, you feel held in the peace and comfort of the loving arms of God.

Judith said...

That must have been just terrible for you. It's shameful that you were left to suffer like that. I am so sorry you were treated so negligently and hope you feel better and sunnier soon.

frieda said...

I am so sorry, Suzanne.

Unknown said...

Dial 0-ask for the nursing supervisor or the Patient representative-this is unacceptable or call me I will come in a heart beat!!!

Unknown said...

Deplorable conditions. It is just so wrong for you to go through this lack of normal care. Bob will be in Glens Fall on the p.m. of the 16th and taking Pa to airport on the 17th if Kelly needs him to do anything. We are available at any time if you need us.
Brigid

Unknown said...

Suzanne,
I am so sorry for your treatment by the hospital staff, Praying for you to feel better soon and for the sunshine to pour down on you and your family.

DebG said...

I am hoping that your days of poor care are behind you, but a tactic I employed when Jon encountered excruciatingly long delays waiting for a nurse was to call the desk from my cellphone and to tell them that "something must be wrong with their system because he had been waiting for a half hour" etc. Someone usually walked in the room immediately after my call and then continued to be prompt in responding once they knew that someone outside of the hospital was aware of the situation. Sunnier days Suzanne, sunnier days...

Beth said...

Hey Friend - I'm so very sorry for all that you have endured, what you're currently enduring, and what's left to endure. I wish you strength as you face whatever comes next.

angela said...

That sounds so horrible Suzanne. I am so sad that you and other patients had to go through that. I have no words. Kenny has had hospital stays where I could assist him and take care of him when the nurses were unavailable, and know a little about the rest that you DO Not get while in the hospital. However none compares to the position you were just in. I can only have empathy and say that I always have Monday's and Thursday's off and I am here for you if you ever need me to be. If it is for company, to bring you soup, to fetch a nurse, I am here, please remember that.