Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Why Chemo is Scary

Chemotherapy is scary. Not because you might spend 3 days and nights in the bathroom, have your hair fall out, wake up in cold sweats, have dry eyes, suffer major fatigue, experience sore muscles, not want to eat, or no longer be able to feel your toes or fingers. It is because you don't know which, if any, of the side effects are going to apply to you.

Yesterday I dozed off for the end of my chemo treatment. I woke up and was soaked. My first thought: "I peed my pants!" (Spoiler: I did not.) The first thing I did was check my list of side effects - sure enough sweating was on the list, along with about 20 other possible side effects.

I thought: "This is a first: a side effect and the chemo wasn't even done going in!" When Ruth, my nurse, came in I mentioned it to her and she asked: "...or it is the rubbery chair and 74 degree room?" I think she also kind of wanted to say 'duh,' but she is way too sweet for that. :)

So here I am, 24 hours after my first Irinotecan chemo treatment, faring fairly well. A few minor side effects, but ones I can manage. I like getting one 'cycle' under my belt - then I know the general pattern the treatments will follow, and I can plan around them a little better.

Strong body, weak cancer cells.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Beth said...

Strong body, strong spirit. Weak cancer cells.

Di said...

Hoping the sun is shining today. Prayers are with you on your journey to John Hopkins. Know I am here. Well really how can you not...constant stalker!

angela said...

Dido Beth. =) Weak cancer cells! I know you are having more of a clear diet these days, but I can get some more "special brownies" from the Dana Farber cafeteria whenever you would like. =)