Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day

When I was 5 or 6, my parents had an in ground swimming pool put in. At the time (and even now) it was the most amazing thing ~ a pool in our backyard! That first year with the pool I used to cling to the side to go around the whole pool. My fingers would be all torn up from the concrete, but I didn't really care - I was in the deep end! When I got a little older, my dad would race me. I must have asked him about 20 times a day (conservatively) to race me because no one else would. He would oblige and somehow, even when I was little-little, I would always win. And there was never a doubt in my mind that I beat him fair and square.

My mom used to work the 3-11 shift at the hospital sometimes, which meant my dad was in charge of my brother and me. Quite often on those evenings our meal was Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and also quite often on those evenings, I was a troublemaker. In order to make dinner and keep me in line, my dad would put me up on the kitchen counter. I tried this same strategy with Kyan. It was not effective... (How did you get me to stay up there, dad?)

My dad worked long hours and all sorts of less-than-ideal shifts, which meant that he wasn't always home for dinner. But he was there for me for all of the important events and would go out of his way for me whenever he could. I went to college about 4 hours away from home. Once a term he would drive out after work on Friday to pick me up, I would then drive us home. On Sunday we would reverse the trip, going to work after I was dropped off. And on those trips home, I think I had one meal with my parents as I was trying to squeeze in time with all of my friends. Yet he never complained about me not spending time at home after taking all that time to get me there.

I was blessed with a very patient dad. He rarely lost his temper, didn't slam on the imaginary passenger brake when teaching me to drive, and all those years ago when he discovered I had a tattoo on Father's Day (sorry about that timing), he took it in stride...pretty much.

When I was very young, I thought all dads were like my dad. Now that I am older and know differently, I wish all dads were like my dad, because then all kids would be as lucky as I am.

Happy Father's Day, Dad! I love you very much.

3 comments:

angela said...

What a very special guy! Happy Father's Day!

Andrew said...

Sometimes you were the troublemaker, but I had my share of trouble making too! No matter what dad (and mom) always loved us both.

KelliGirl said...

Aww, Papa Bear! He is the best. Though I am glad it was you and not me that had to tell him about the windshield wiper after that U2 show. :)

You are both so blessed to have each other...hope it was a wonderful Father's Day ! XOXO