Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mommy & Me

When Rory was about a year and a half old, I registered the two of us for a Mommy & Me class at the preschool I wanted to send him to. I really am not sure why I signed us up ~ I think I wanted to get out a little more, and have some one-on-one time with Rory. We met every Friday morning for about 2.5 hours ~ lots of playtime, circle time, craft time, and ending with The Big Green Monster story each week.

The next year I emailed the teacher, Jill, to ask if Kyan and I could join the class mid-year and she said "If you are up for it, join us now." So I did. Ky was the youngest by quite a few months, but he got the hang of things. Except for the craft projects...he tasted every single paint color used during the year. Every. Single. One. He never seemed to enjoy it, but he kept trying!

Through these classes I became friends with the other "moms" and Jill. After our kids were done with the class, we kept up via emails, Facebook, the occasional summer get together, and preschool pick ups and drop offs. When we announced we were having twins, they celebrated with me (and questioned my sanity with having 4 under 4...). When we lost Cora, some of the first people at our door were my Mommy & Me friends, and those friends are still at our side today.

A while back I was talking with a friend about how sometimes support comes from sources that seem unexpected or somewhat surprising, but when one really thinks about it, those sources make perfect sense. Without a doubt, this is how I feel about my Mommy & Me friends ~ our friendships grew so naturally the strength of them surprised me.

Much love to all of my Mommy & Me friends ~ I am so glad for our Friday mornings together.

(I am also glad for Jill choosing washable, non-toxic paints...)





3 comments:

Judith said...

The bit about your son tasting the paints but not liking them made me laugh. It reminds me of when my son was a toddler and would love to steal the lemon wedges from our water glasses, suck on it, make a horrible face, then pop it back in his mouth again.

Actually, I've seen my husband do the same thing too, eat some new tortilla chip, pronounce that they taste disgusting, then proceed to eat another handful. Maybe it's a boy thing.

angela said...

I loved our Friday's and miss them so... Times seemed just a bit simpler then. Teaching them how to share, not to pull hair, and certainly trying to teach them not to eat the craft projects, or each other's snacks! Ky never gave up hope that that new color and texture might be the one! =) I do love how you always let his art project be his, no matter the outcome! I went to the library with Kate for a school fieldtrip the other day. She took out Big Green Monter, Kenny was so excited to see it... I think we all have fond memories of Mommy and Me,and so glad we got to meet everyone we did. They have def changed my life for the better. =) xoxo

KelliGirl said...

Quality people attract quality people. Just saying. :)