Thursday, June 21, 2012

Ridiculousness

Today was my PET/CT scan day. Those of you who have been reading for a while know how much I love PET scan day. You may also know I have crap veins. This combination normally makes for a thrilling day. But today was extra thrilling.

For the PET scan I need to be injected with a radioactive isotope and for the CT scan I need to be injected with a contrast agent. (I am not sure if agent is the right word...I need to be injected, that is the important part.) My first tech looked at my veins and threw in the towel before even attempting to put in the IV line. My second tech first decided to try the inner forearm, no go (and can we all say "ow?"). She then tried my wrist ~ the nice, bony part that feels GREAT (is the sarcasm coming through?), with a needle and then the saline test to determine that one was also a no go. She then decided to access my port. I had no numbing cream, but since I had already been there for an hour, I said to just go for it. Another GREAT feeling, but I thought, "They are in, we are good to go." Um, no. She couldn't get a blood flash, which meant she couldn't use the line.

Awesome.

Dr....um, I don't even want to use his initial because it is rather uncommon and he was a really gem (the sarcasm is coming through, right?)...so, Dr. Um says that I can drink the radioactive stuff, get the PET scan, then go to the hospital, have the cancer center folks access my port and then get the CT scan done at the hospital. Sigh. A royal pain, but I want this thing done so I agree.

My advice: don't drink the radioactive stuff. It is nasty. Oh, and after I drink it Dr. Um tells me I now have to wait 90 minutes instead of 45 minutes before they can scan me because of how the body reacts. Super. Not like I have children that I need to go home to or anything.

Three hours after I arrive at the PET scan place I make it to the scanner. Woo hoo! The scan starts, back and forth, back and forth, then it freezes in one place for what felt like 20 minutes, but was probably closer to 10. The PET scanner failed mid-scan. They pull me out, reset everything and in I go again: back and forth, back and forth, then it freezes.

The scanner failed again. Engineers were called in. I am now rescheduled for Monday.

Ridiculousness.

11 comments:

The Amusing Redhead said...

Oh Suzanne, I am so sorry! :(

liz austin said...

Oh man, talk about sucky! Hope u have a fun weekend with the kiddos and Monday goes smooth!

angela said...

What the poop?!?!? Just another day in the life of your blood work! You would think by now they would have someone to work with you considering your veins. Sorry you have to go through this again on Monday, and sorry that it took away precious time with the children and hubby prob near a pool... I am hoping that your experience (oh, I mean torture) today was at least air conditioned. =) As always thinking of you and the family.

Meg said...

I feel like after something like this, they should gift you with something....like a pony, or at the very least...a margarita.

Judith said...

You have a really good attitude about this if you can dub it "ridiculousness." I think I might choose stronger language myself.

frieda said...

You broke the scanner with your sheer awesomeness.

I also think you deserve a pony. A shiny one. Carrying a thermos of margaritas.

Beth said...

bleep, bleep, bleep.... bleeeep, bleepity, bleep bleepin' doctors and veins...

Di said...

No words. Monday has to be better.

stickerlady said...

Suzanne....Not only is this ridiculous...it is CRIMINAL what they have put you through!! Years ago...Albany Med used the leg veins on our son...when all his arm veins gave out!! Not fun...but worth a try!! Good Luck on Monday!!

EmilyOrange said...

OMG Poor Suzanne! I hope they do better on Monday. I think you are superhuman if you didn't immediately vomit up the radioactive stuff. I'm so sorry. Good luck!

KelliGirl said...

None of the words I wanted to say when this happened are fit for print.