Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Accidental Inspiration

This past weekend was my twentieth high school reunion. It was great fun, though a few people needed the evil eye for not aging appropriately (oh, you know who you are...). Many of the people in my class have been extraordinarily supportive over the past year, even though I hadn't seen them in person very often, if at all, so it was lovely to see them.

It was also lovely to be seen. I can write, I can post pictures on Facebook, I can tell people I am tolerating treatment, but I think seeing me in person helps people realize that I still am me.

The one thing I heard a lot this weekend, and have heard a lot since I started this blog, is how inspiring I am. I never know what to say to such a comment. Usually it is "Um, thank you," because it has never been my intent to be inspiring (unless I am trying to inspire my family to actually make it out the door on time....then I am a fountain of inspiration). Some days I am pleased to be upright and mobile, so it is difficult for me to even consider myself inspiring on those days.

I think of the people I find inspiring and almost all of them seem to be people who didn't aim to be inspiring. Rather they inspired me simply by living their lives in the best way possible - during both good and bad circumstances.

I read this quotation by a friend's father, and I think this is a large part of how people I find inspirational act:

"...there is the way things should be, and there is the way things are. Just go out there and do the best you can."




7 comments:

Mary Stevens said...

I do find you very inspirational Suzanne, and believe it or not, your touching and humorous blog posts are helping ME through some difficult things - much less difficult - Obviously! - than what you are facing - but my darling daughter and son-in-law are struggling with infertility issues and sometimes what you have to say here helps me and also helps me help her. I continue to carry my best hopes and wishes for you as you carry on so courageously though this hand you have been dealt.

KelliGirl said...

I couldn't agree with the quote you posted more. As I've said before, you do the best you can with what you have. If doing so inspires others, so be it. :)

In all fairness, though, you are pretty awesome.

frieda said...

There's nothing that makes me squirm more than hearing, "I don't know how you DO it. You are so strong...!" Ack. I can take ANYthing, anything but scrutiny. So I have a measure of understanding.
This is probably a good time to let you know, just the same, that your example makes me say "Yes," more to my daughter and go with the flow more. She wants to sleep on the couch, even though she just got a 600 dollar loft bed? OK. Trash the kitchen making chocolate milk herself? Sure, we'll clean it up together.

"In all fairness, though, you are pretty awesome." Second that.

Beth said...

For me, what's most inspiring about you is the attitude you're facing all of this with. Now, I'm sure you have moments of weakness when you're alone with the people who make you most comfortable. But reading what you say in our blog, seeing the smiling pictures of you and your famly, and - yes- seeing you in person and just watching you be the person you've always been, has affected me greatly.

state farm said...

I love that quote.
You truly are an inspirational, even on a bad day you tell people, I am doing well and things are okay. You still have your wit and that makes me very happy!
Keep fighting my friend!

angela said...

Accidental or not you are pretty amazing as the others have said, you are beautiful inside and out, you look amazing and have a glow... maybe it has something to do with the radiation but you have a glow non the less. So blessed to have signed up for Mommy and Me for now our paths have crossed. Thank you again for sharing your journey with us. Thank you for being you. =)

Di said...

Love the quote....reminds me of Al. Oh, and you! So glad the reunion was fun.Gee,I always thought your goal was to be more like me.Since I have not been mentioned....mmmm...I will have to say you are you..isn't that grand!