Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Saying Yes

I am fortunate that my boys are so young. They don't know, and certainly are not at an age where they need to be told, the seriousness of my illness. They know I go to a lot of appointments at the hospital, but they are never scared or nervous about me going there. I go, I come back, we carry on.

The one area that has changed is that I say 'yes' much more often when they ask me to do things. This morning I had about a half hour and I was all set to go weed. But then Rory and Ky (and eventually Crosby) wanted to read stories, so we did. Then the bigger boys wanted me to jump on the backyard trampoline, so we did (and, no, there is no photographic evidence of that).

Today was filled with small yeses, but I think those matter a great deal. Are my front beds weeded? Nope. Is the laundry put away? Not yet. But, we had fun checking out the pit of a nectarine, getting soaked at the spray park, and cuddling before bed.

Tomorrow's agenda includes marshmallows, family get togethers, boat rides, and fireworks. Once again, those weeds will have to wait.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

10 comments:

Jeanne said...

You are a true inspiration. By being you
God bless you and your family. <3. :)

Judith said...

This is such a great reminder for everyone with loved ones.

Cory said...

Reminds me of the saying...a tidy house is the sign of a wasted life. Keep saying yes!

Wendy Michele said...

Ahhhh Suzanne such a timely reminder. Thank you. Here's to saying YES!!

state farm said...

The weeds will grow,and they will be easier to pick!
The boys grow up too fast, so play when they want to play.

Unknown said...

I read somewhere right after we had Curran (so many years ago) that, as a parent, whenever you feel like saying no to your child ask yourself why you are saying that. Is the activity dangerous? Or is it simply you are tired or dont feel like it? I have tried to maintain this line of thought throughout my kid's growing up. It is always more important to me to spend as much time as possible with them. My 2 boys are teens and don't want to hang out with Dad. My 11 year old daughter thinks I am crazy when I tell her that there will come a time soon when she may prefer to go out with her friends.

Deb Roberts said...

I'll weed!

angela said...

Sounds perfect.

liz austin said...

Yea for saying yes! I love those little moments. Tobey and i had one today. We found a snake skin, grampa said no don't touch...mommy said yes! So we picked it up, touched it and then Tobey ripped the head part off <3

KelliGirl said...

The perfect reminder that what your kids need most from you is simply your time. I know I need that reminder myself sometimes!