Friday, July 6, 2012

Firsts and Lasts

Our July 4th was busy, lovely, and traditional.

We went to a family picnic at my parents' home filled with 'cousins' (my dad's aunt, cousin, and his cousin's children and grandchildren: I say aunt and cousins when talking about them....if you care to tell us how we are second cousins twice removed divided by three, feel free!). We had a cookout and the little kids played and swam together.

We then went up to Kelly's family home on Clay Island, Lake George. It was a beautiful evening which marked Crosby's first boat ride and his first trip to the island. Rory and I used a net to catch our first fish. (Kelly will argue it was barely a fish, but I say that just because it was the length of my pinky nail does not matter...it was a fish). Kyan rode in the kayak while Kelly followed me as a swam around the island - unplanned, so it was done the old fashioned-way, sans goggles. The bigger boys toasted their first marshmallows in the campfire, and then we watched the Bolton fireworks from the dock - during which the phase "big boomer" was used a great deal!

It was a great day, filled with many firsts for the all three boys.

For me, a fleeting thought on such holidays-and sometimes just on random days-given my prognosis, is that this could be my last July 4. You know I hope and pray this is not the case, but if it is, it was a near perfect day.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

angela said...

Sounds like a great day. I will continue to pray for many, many more firsts and more nearly perfect days.

crichichi said...

You know Suzanne You are the wise one, as we should all embrace the 'firsts' in life as if they could be our 'lasts'. I pray that you'll have many more birthdays, July 4ths, etc. And for those you do I have, I hope they are all better than 'near perfect'.

Note you made my Friday 'near perfect' as well xoxo

Courtney

KelliGirl said...

No finer compliment for a day than to say it was near perfect. Glad you had such a wonderful time. I count on many more!