Monday, September 10, 2012

Scanxiety

Tomorrow (Tuesday) is my liver MRI. Hence, my scanxiety. The tumors in my liver have been untreated over the summer and the results of the MRI will give us a better idea of their nature. If they are stable, then it is likely they are lower-grade than the pathologist at Dana Farber thought they were. If they have grown, then the pathology was correct and the tumors are high-grade.

[Quick catch-up: Two different pathologists have looked at the liver tissue samples, but they did not agree on the grade (1 (low), 2, or 3 (high). My first four rounds of chemo were given based on the assumption of high-grade tumors in my liver. But the tumors didn't respond. This could mean the tumors are not responsive to chemotherapy or (fingers crossed here) the tumors are of a lower grade (which tend not to respond to chemo).]

I also have scanxiety because the MRI involves an IV and you all know how my veins cooperate with such procedures. I did talk to the tech about using my port, and although that is a no-go, he did give me the okay to continue with fluids after the 6 hour cut off for solid foods, and I think that will help.

Oh, and I would love to take credit for the term scanxiety, but I must give credit to my friend Janine for that one. Janine and I both lost our young daughters and now are both fighting cancer. It is odd how the most horrible things in life can bring some of the greatest people into your life.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sending up prayers for easy accessible veins and low grade results. Also, Praying that your scanxiety is decrease and that when all is done you'll be able to come back home and cuddle and play with the boys!
Amy Green

Beth said...

Fingers crossed for you and Janine. Every day, all the time.

sarah said...

Prayers for you today Suzanne! Statistically you have always been an odd ball outlier :D

Love Love Love coming over the air from the Howorth family!

angela said...

Low grade, Low grade, Low grade, Outlier, Outlier, Outier...

KelliGirl said...

These comments need a "like" button. Facebook has spoiled me. :)

I often say that it's not that God doesn't give us things we can't handle, he gives us the people we need to handle it. I think that is why he gave you and Janine each other.

And scanxiety is the WORST. Boo!!

Janine said...

I absolutely adore you. You are the great one, my dear friend. I shake my head and I question why for us but I am glad and honored and overjoyed that you are in my life. I'm your number 1 stalkerazzi! LOVE you!