Saturday, September 29, 2012

Bittersweet

One of my favorite memories from the day Cora and Crosby were born was Kelly standing near me (I had a c-section and we were still in the operating room) holding Cora so I could see her. Then, one of the nurses, Shawn, came over with Crosby and popped him into Kelly's other arm. Kelly's eyes got a little big (or huge) and Shawn said to him, "Get used to it!" We all laughed - and Kelly's pupils returned to their normal size.

Thursday was Crosby's first birthday. He decided to take several steps in a row for the first time, though he has not done so since. He loved a giraffe toy his brothers got for him, and was quite fond of the green frosting on his cupcake (so fond he required a bath!). We had balloons, doting grandparents, and a ridiculous number of pictures were taken.

When we lost Cora, I was worried that all of Crosby's milestones would lack the amount of joy he deserved. His birthday was a bittersweet day. I was overjoyed to celebrate Crosby and all the happiness he has brought us over the past year. But, Cora was also on my mind. In the morning we attended a dedication of a memorial for Cora. In the afternoon I brought a lily to the cemetery. I could tell that several other people had been there that day, which was comforting.

Crosby is such a love and has such a dynamic personality - it is impossible not to be filled with joy when I am with him. Happy, happy first birthday, Crosby!


4 comments:

angela said...

Happy 1st Birthday little one. xoxo

Judith said...

Happy birthday to both your little loves.

Unknown said...

Suzanne, I remember when we first told you that native Americans consider the butterfly to be the spirit of a departed loved one. How exciting for us when you saw a Golden Monarch on your half-marathon. Happy Birthday Crosby, and please know Cora that we still remember and love you.
Brigid and Bob

KelliGirl said...

Bittersweet is the perfect word. I still pray daily that someday you get to that place where the sweet of the memories outweighs the bitter sting of the loss...I know it's a long, arduous journey. I will walk beside you every step of the way.

Oh, Crosby, whose sweet smile fills hearts with such happiness...happy happy birthday,cutie pie! May you have all the green frosting you like (well, on your birthday, anyway!)! :)