Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Crap Veins

Today was my liver biopsy down at St. Peter's. I was very apprehensive because the radiologist at Glens Falls refused to do it because he deemed it "too difficult to biopsy." I was worried that St. Peter's wouldn't be able to do it, or may not get a good sample, which would mean more delays in starting treatment.

Fortunately, the team (5 men...what are the chances of that? It was 1 out of 230, based on the staffing stats provided to me by the guys. See, math IS everywhere.) was terrific. They had a good line, no major blood vessels blocking the path, and were able to get several samples. The hardest part of the whole thing was the 1.5 hours it took to get my IV line in and 3 tubes of blood drawn. Thank you, crap veins.

I have to say, since word got out about my staging, I have received so many messages, calls, and visits to help pull me up. I can't thank everyone enough. I asked for help being positive, and it worked...I can feel the tide turning, ever so slowly, away from the overwhelming sadness.

My dear friend Meg came up with the acronym SMAC (Suzanne Murphy Attacks Cancer). I like it. Perhaps a little too much. Who wants a t-shirt?

4 comments:

Deb Roberts said...

I want a t shirt. Definitely.

Ask Emily about crap veins.

Betsy Boodle said...

I can try to make that happen...I know a guy.

Di said...

I want a shirt for sure...a BIG shirt...di has grown a little. I love the SMAC that your friend came up with. Congdon Road Gang ready and willing for any task..super heroe seniors on the move.!

Denise L. said...

I DEFINITELY want a shirt (or three)! Let us stand united with you as team SMAC!! There are people all over that I'm sure are having the same thoughts... How do we show our support as we aren't either right here in person or are on the periphery but still care? I would love to see team SMAC shirts popping up all over the world so you know how supported and loved that you, Kelly and those precious boys are!