Thursday, February 16, 2012

4B

We'll do this like a little Q&A using the things people have asked me today. Might be the best way to organize my thoughts and answers:

1) What exactly is it that you have?
Cervical cancer, stage 4B - cancer in both the cervix and liver; each time I saw a new doctor my staging got worse...now there is no place to go. Fancy name: endocervical adenocarcinoma

2) How will it be treated?
They will treat the cancer in the liver using chemotherapy ~ that will also affect the cancer in the cervix. After chemotherapy I may still require radiation for the cervix and/or surgery for the liver.

3) Why can't they just operate?
The cancer is widespread enough that they cannot get clear margins. Plus, this specific cancer tends to "lurk" - so even if they took half my liver, in 3 months the other half could be loaded with tumors. Chemo is the best offense.

4) What is your prognosis?
It sucks. "Cure" is not really a word used in reference to where I am at, but it can be treated. A great deal hinges on how the cancer reacts to the chemo and how my body tolerates everything. So, if you are in a praying mood ~ opt for a strong body and wimpy cancer cells.

5) Are you getting a second opinion?
Yes, from the cancer center at Dartmouth-Hitchcock. A family friend is the director there and once my final results are in from some tests and the chemo plan is set, they will review and we'll go from there.

6) How are you?
Um, really?
Sad, weepy, angry, frustrated, royally pissed off, desperate to start doing something proactive, terrified, scared

7) How is Kelly?
See above.

8 comments:

Cory said...

I am so glad that above all you are approaching this with a sense of humor. That, besides all the love and support you have pouring in will get you through this.

Love ya!

Joan said...

You are a warrior, Suzanne. I am praying for you and your family. We live in Wellesley, just outside of Boston, so if there is a reason to visit a doc here, please know that Chez Kenney/Ankrom is open anytime! Even comes with built in babysitting services, etc. Really. Don't hesitate to let us know. Much love to you all... Joan (Kenney) Ankrom

Bob Singer said...

Well done.  So many people care, but it is hard to describe the situation over and over again.  We started a blog when Emily got sick and still make entries. 

You are going into this strong and healthy.  That, and some anger and your irrepressible sense of humor will get you through this.

Anonymous said...

You are so strong and amazing Suzanne. Much love and strength to you and your family!!!

Jessica

Darlene said...

Suzanne, My prayers and thoughts are with you, Kelly and kiddies, If there is anything I can do let me know..

Shawn said...

I can't even believe this!! Everything must have happened so fast. Chin up girl and if you ever need to just yell and scream feel free to call me. Thinking of you and your family

Heather said...

I just found out about Suzanne's stage 4 at the hockey game tonight from my dad. The place was crazy and I just felt like everything was in slow motion. You have been through so much this year and you don't deserve ANY of it. I feel really sad and frustrated. Obviously it must be exponential for you...
I think of Cora every day and will continue to..& I will send positive energies & prayers to you all.
Murphy/Ely Family; your openness, strength and humor is much admired and adored by everyone.
Please let us know when chemotherapy starts & we will try to figure out how to help...

Di said...

You are who you are , no different...the same Suzanne I have always known. On to the next step of how to handle this situation with a very positive attitude. I am on the positive bandwagon with you. love ya!