Tuesday, February 28, 2012

And onto Plan D

Plan A: surgery; plan a foiled because the cancer was too widespread for surgery to be successful
Plan B: external and internal radiation with low-dose chemo; plan b pushed aside because of cancerous tumors in the liver
Plan C: chemotherapy; plan c tossed because the cancer in my liver is different than the cancer in my cervix
Plan D: ??

There is a small twinge of hope around Murphyville. The tumors in my liver, while not good, may not be as bad as metastasized cervical cancer. This means instead of months, I may have years. YEARS! How many is a question (not as many as I want), and if that will be the case is also a question, but it is possible.

I am hopeful, but also skeptical. In less than a month we have already been through three treatment plans and each time there has been a drastic change. This is no one's fault-the doctors get an answer from one test that leads to another that leads to a huge change. I hope this next round of tests shows that the carcinoid tumors are manageable for a few years, but the location of the primary tumor needs to be found, and the fact that I have eight known tumors in my liver as well as some slight bone activity makes me nervous...that is a lot of tumor activity. Plus, I still need to beat the cervical cancer.

So, for now I am staying steady. I am staying off the roller coaster and waiting for all the pieces to come together for Plan D.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

praying for the BEST possible outcome!!! I am very optimistic and BELIEVE with every once of my being!!!!

Beth said...

I'm holding onto the good in this post, and am glad to hear that you're trying your hardest to do the same. Love you.

Di said...

Steady as she goes and I know you will..thats suzanne! Looks like we will be having some major snowman making weather..what fun! Change happens. We have to believe its for the good. Have the best day ever..

Despina said...

Suzanne, there are people far and wide, some you don't know (hello from Toronto!) that are keeping you in their prayers daily! Whatever plan D is, you will tackle it with the same grace and strength that you've shown so far. And when you feel weak, you've got a world of support to lean on! <<>>

KelliGirl said...

The good news is, that there's still Plans D-Z. That's a lot of options. :)

The glimmer of hope is wonderful...I'll hold onto it with you.

Ka-chow!

Beth said...

And, if needed, after Z, we got to AA - no jokes about my bra size, please ;-)

Sorry - thought a little humor would be good!

Meg said...

Red wine is full of antioxidants. Can we call that Plan D1, until a decision is made?

Darlene said...

Im glad to hear about plan D!!! Years and years believe and my thoughts and prayers are with you...