Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Doing Everything Right

I am a total goodie-two-shoes. I always made curfew (a few times I pulled the car in the garage right on time, but I made it), I rarely skipped college classes, and pay my taxes ~ even those nasty self-employment taxes ~ without fail. I try to do everything "right." Until October that seemed to work out pretty well.

When I was first pregnant with Rory, I went out and got one of those adorable crib sets. The ones with a bumper and a blanket ~ it was so cute with all of these little animals on it. And then I returned it because I learned bumpers at any age were not safe. I remember everyone asked me about the nursery and were shocked when I said there was no decor. Just a crib with a sheet.

By the time Cora and Crosby came along, the safety things were routine. Nothing in the cribs, kiddos on their backs to sleep, pacis when they were sleeping ~ the whole nine yards. We did everything "right" to prevent SIDS. But, Cora died and her death has fallen into that horrifying classification of SIDS. Her heart stopped beating while I was holding her in my arms ~ where else could she have been safer? How else could I have done anything more right?

Without a doubt, losing Cora has affected the way I have responded to my cancer diagnosis. A few days ago on Facebook, I asked people who were putting off doctor visits to schedule them. But the thing is, I wasn't behind on my appointments. Hell, for the past 5 years I was in my OBs office at least once a month ~ probably more, between fertitily treatments and my pregnancies. I had every test I was scheduled to have, including my pap test, but I still ended up with advanced cervical cancer.  Plus, as a bonus I have carcinoid tumors. I mean, what is that...a terminal gift for, once again, doing the right thing?

An expected conclusion might be to "screw doing the right thing," but anyone who knows me knows that won't happen. But, maybe I'll wander off the path a little more.

5 comments:

KelliGirl said...

Sometimes it's just a stupid, unfair, mean world.

If you need someone to tear up the map and wander with you....well, you know I will take any journey with you. And then, when we both get uber-anxious because we are so out of our comfort zone, I'll race back with you...but maybe after curfew. ;)

Andrew said...

Not too sure about the TOTAL goodie-two-shoes part. But you are about as close as anyone I know. Your positive attitude continues to amaze me!

Beth said...

I'm all for exploring, and straying just a little bit from the straight and narrow. But, doing everything right also led you to your husband, your beautiful kids, and an absolute army of people who love and support you, so I'm soooo glad for the path you have taken up to this point ;-)

Di said...

jepiBeing a good person and doing the right thing all the time did not lead you to today where a bad thing is happening to you. Being who you are right now makes you the same person only stronger and saying to this damn disease...c'mon.....I am going to do things right and beat the pants off you!

Di said...

remind to edit next time! I think I am a robot...can't read the words to not be!