Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Reality

Today Kelly and I met with my oncologist, Dr. Stoutenburg. That is a long name to type. How about we call him Dr. S?

Dr. S. happens to be awesome. A great addition to Team SMAC. He spent a long time with us, and then after he met with us, spent a long time talking with my doctor up at Dartmouth. I will start chemo next week. Because I am young, they are going for a very toxic chemo combination. Even with how toxic this combination is, it will really "only" be palliative.

Cold, Hard, Reality: Patients where I am now have an average life expectancy of about 9.5 months.

I can hear some of you already...fight, fight, fight - you can do this, you can beat the odds. And believe me, I am going to try with everything I have. But, I also am accepting of reality. I have several months left. I want them to be as great as possible. I am not going to chase chemo until it destroys me. I am not going to spend hours on wishful thinking therapies. I am not going to deny what is going on inside me. I AM going to spend hours with my children, my husband, my family, and my friends. I AM going to savor everything I can for as long as I can.  Kelly and I will make plans for the children and for him, we will do our best to prepare Rory and Kyan for losing me, and I will have time to write them letters, make photo books, and perhaps even a video for all the boys to have when they are older.

I do have a favor to ask of you all. I would like the kids to know as much about me as possible/as they want to know. I want to collect a book of stories for them ~ stories about me from others. So, when you have time, I would love for you to write down something about you and me ~ it can be as long or short as you like, funny or serious, it is your call. You can send it to me via email (suzanne.murphy@gmail.com) or Kelly (kjmurphy711@gmail.com), or you can mail it to us (48 Farr Lane; Queensbury, NY 12804).

Oh, and I know you all want to know...yes, I will be losing my hair. I am thinking bandanna, not wig.

4 comments:

Shawn said...

You are amazing and so strong! I will write you something, we have baby stories to share : )

KelliGirl said...

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO infinity.

Shelby said...

Suzanne, I only know you through your amazing mom! It sounds like you got her gumption. The Snuggery girls all ADORE you and we'd love to help in any way we can. You are one of us, and we stand beside you in your fight!! Much love to you and your family, and seriously, we got your back, no matter what you need!!

Anonymous said...

Bandana? Swim cap! Thinking of you, sorry I missed the SMAC-down in the pool...