Sunday, May 27, 2012

Liver

I get two big offers from people (a) a homemade meal and/or (b) part of their liver. Sample conversation:
Friend: I was thinking of something I could do to help. How about a pot of sauce and part of my liver? I'd be happy to get tested while the sauce simmers.
Me: Um, well...
Friend: Don't you like sauce?

Okay, so I totally made that conversation up, but the gist is there. People haven't thought twice about being willing to be part of a major surgery to help me out. Unfortunately, a transplant is not an option that is on the table.

But...Steve Jobs had the same type of cancer I do and had a liver transplant! It does seem logical-replace the organ filled with tumors and viola...cured patient. The issue is the systemic nature of advanced cancer-it is in my body so while replacing my liver might help for a short amount of time, in the long run the replacement would likely become riddled with tumors. Compound that with the transplant meds and treatment of the cancer in the "new" liver would be a challenge, to say the least.

It is my understanding that treatments such as the chemotherapy and embolisms are part of the first line of treatments in patients like me because they offer the greatest chance at extending one's life while also maintaining quality of life.

So, while I deeply appreciate the offer of all of the gently (or not so gently) used livers, I am going to have to pass for now.


2 comments:

angela said...

Strong Body... weak cancer cells...

KelliGirl said...

Hey now - we "used" our livers together, so watch it! ;)

Chemo, embolization, reiki, acupuncture....whatever you are comfortable doing that gives you the kind of life that you want, well, that is good for me. (My sentence structure is outstanding, no?)

I second Angela....strong body, weak cancer cells. XO