Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Hair (again)

My hair has always been baby fine. All shampoo bottles in my world must have the word volumizing on them, or I do not buy it. I have tried drying my hair upside down, used all sorts of products, hot rollers (yes, they still exist), even perms back in the day. But my hair refused to become full bodied. I would vent about this to Kelli-girl who would respond with "My hair is so thick I have to get it thinned." To which I would respond, "Bite me." Because really, thick hair is not a problem. I don't care what she says.

This seems like a moot point since I just shaved my head, no? [Speaking of which, all of my hair didn't fall out. Just lots of large chunks. I think the universe is just toying with me because now, the parts that didn't fall out are already starting to grow back and oh...dear...it is just weird. And no, I am not going to show you.]

Back on task...so the cancer center I go to gives patients free wigs. I wasn't going to get one, but one of the resource nurses, and my mom, encouraged me to just so I would have it. For those of you who have never picked a wig, it is a weird process. One that involves looking at people who look nothing like you wearing the wigs in pictures and picking the one that you think is closest to what you want (typically close to your "usual" hairsyle, though I was wildly tempted to go purple).

My wig came in earlier this week and the color is spot on. The only issue is that the hair is so thick and there is so much of it. I mean, crazy thick. I can use hair accouterments and (a) they stay in and (b) serve a purpose. I might actually need to go shopping for hair supplies (to be amusing, I should just go in with my splotchy head...that would probably make someone wonder...).

So, after 37+ years of wishing for thick hair that I can do stuff with...I got my wish! Granted, it involves an odd net around my noggin and I feel totally weird with it, but if you see me flipping my "hair," you'll know I am just relishing the volume.

[I still favor the scarf/bandanna option, so that is really what you are most likely to see me sporting.]

5 comments:

Deb Roberts said...

Looks like the lack of hair was causing trouble for the swim cap. Maybe you should have a wig for the pool. :) Might be a tad uncomfortable and probably not so good for the wig.....

Beth said...

Oh, it's been a long time since I've heard you say "bite me." I needed that, and I did actually hear it in the sound of your voice when I read it!

KelliGirl said...

Geesh, don't comment for a couple of days and get thrown under the bus.... ;)

Hey, I may have gotten the thick hair (just had it thinned on Wednesday, as a matter of fact!), but you got the height, the chest...shall I go on???

Judith said...

Awwww... you should have gone for the purple wig.

sarah said...

A friend of mine lost her hair during treatment for breast cancer. Friends of her bought her a rainbow wig and would send her "dares" to do with the wig! I.e. go out for ice cream with the kids while wearing the wig, etc. she gathered a collection of photos to correspond with the dares...

You should have gone rainbow! Just to make life more interesting...