Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Googling

When Kelly and I were first trying to get pregnant and had fertility issues, I went to my doctor, heard his plan, then went home and Googled the plan. The results were depressing ~ endless stories of people who had no success or had complications. A success story was a rare find. I joined an online support group for a month or so, but found more of the same. A few people I could relate to (including one who I actually ended up meeting in a very random way), but overall it was not helpful and often filled with crap advice or information. I made the decision not to Google anything else, and instead drive my OBs nuts with questions. I know I ended up better for that, I am not sure if they did.

Cut to January when I was told that the ultrasound showed "spots on my liver." I first Googled liver spots. Go ahead. Do that for fun. I'll wait.

Then I did a more appropriate Google search, but the results fell into three categories: results that told me no more than the doctor did over the phone, results that were like the fertility searches in terms of quality, and results that were in medical (it is a language, I am sure of it). As my diagnosis shifted and changed and my prognosis became worse and worse, I would occasionally Google something, but I don't think I have spent more than 5 minutes looking at the search results.

When I think about this, it strikes me as a weird behavior for me. I like being in control (hello, Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, etc.) and I like finding answers or solutions to problems and issues. Clearly, terminal cancer is a problem. But, as I think about it more I think I am smart enough to know myself. Smart enough to surround myself with doctors I trust. Smart enough to know that on this topic, they are way smarter than me. Smart enough to know that Google is awesome for directions and finding out who the hell that guy is in that movie, but compared to the doctors on my team, a pretty worthless source of good information.

So, sorry Dr. S, Dr. H, Alex, and everyone else involved in my care, but you now get the pleasure of Suzanne, the question asker.



5 comments:

liz austin said...

Ask away lady! The only bad question is the one that never gets asked.

Jeanne said...

I 2nd @lizaustin <3

Meg said...

I bet a few of them can even give halfway decent directions...

Beth said...

Those docs would advocate for themselves too, if ever in your position. My guess is that they get it, and they have grown to care a lot about you :)

KelliGirl said...

I third Liz!

They get paid to answer your questions - don't forget that! :)