Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Articles

Today our local paper ran two pieces today on my family. This came about from the fall, when Cora's sand pictures were first on Facebook. The reporter, Meg, got wind of the pictures from a mutual friend, Cory, and asked if we would be willing to talk to her for a story. At that time we said no ~ it did not feel right ~ but we would be willing to revisit the idea down the road.

After I found out my cancer was stage 4, I was going through my emails and found the email from Meg. Kelly and I talked about it and decided to contact her about the story. We wanted Cora's story to be shared, and we also wanted to let other grieving parents know that they are not alone.

My diagnosis changed Meg's approach to the story (I was glad to see there were two stories, so that Cora's story did not get "lost."), and I will not lie...I was very nervous about how it would be covered. I noticed many people shared the story on Facebook today. So many people were very supportive, but I also noticed that some people who do not know me often commented on the article with statements such as, "That is so sad/tragic/etc." It is hard for me to comprehend others thinking of my life in that way. The loss of Cora is devastating. My stage 4 cancer diagnosis is devastating. But is my life sad? I don't think so. I think it has some very sad moments that affect every single day. But it also has amazing, funny, happy moments that make it so worth living.

Links to the articles:

About Cora's sand pictures: http://m.poststar.com/photos-from-around-the-world-honor-lost-daughter/article_c0e2625e-86a0-11e1-9b4c-001a4bcf887a.html

About my family: http://m.poststar.com/news/local/family-tries-to-find-strength-to-go-on/article_7b2f5898-86a0-11e1-9e05-001a4bcf887a.html

2 comments:

angela said...

I have to say I felt the same way when I saw some of the comments. But I could also understood where they were coming from as well. Unfortunately they dont know you and your family and they dont see the JOY that you have not lost. They cant see what my little girl saw that day visiting you... the very happy family, living a very normal daily life, in a house full of love.

KelliGirl said...

It is why I always send folks here to your blog...so they can see that you and your life are so much more than your diagnosis. So they can "see" you live with love, laughter, joy, and wonder -- even in the face of incomprehensible adversity. So they can learn to stop sweating the small stuff and be grateful.
The simple things...which are the most important.
XOXO