Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Week 1

First week of chemo is done. I feel like I am doing quite well. The fatigue was greater on days 5-7, but seems to be improving now. The meds and acupuncture controlled the nausea so it was close to a non-issue for me.

Today was a nadir day. In cancer-speak, a nadir day is an expected low point for blood counts - red cells, white cells, and platelets. My greatest concern at this point was my white cell count. It was in the normal range, thanks in large part to a white cell booster shot I got last week. Other dangerous side effects are also monitored...so far, so few.

Next week I go for another nadir check, and if all goes well round 2 will begin on 4/23.

One potential side effect is ear ringing/hearing loss. Over the past week I noticed some transient ringing but I think it has been happening for a while, I just never paid attention!

Strong body, weak cancer cells.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

frieda said...

"Strong body, weak cancer cells."

That's what we want!!

KelliGirl said...

The army has marched in...now we let them battle valiantly!

So happy that it has not been a brutal introduction to chemo...I hope it continues to be a managable thing.

Strong body, weak cancer cells...that is Team SMAC's motto!!

XOXO

Beth said...

Fingers crossed for round 2 to start on 4/23 and for your body's resilience to the negative effects of chemo to continue... Team SMAC is behind you, and we've been training for the fight too!

angela said...

Strong body, weak cancer cells... fingers, eyes and toes crossed!!!