Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Strawberries

Since I was a kid my parents have had a great circle of friends. They go to dinner, go on week-long camping trips, have house gatherings, my mom and "the girls" go for breakfast, lunch, or shopping (or all three!), and my dad and "the guys" go on trips to Atlantic City or Las Vegas.

The kids were often part of the activities. I am the youngest of the kids, so I think for a fair number of things I was the only one that had to be brought along. One of these outings I remember is a trip to pick strawberries in the spring. It was my mom, Mrs. LeBrun, and (I think) a friend of mine. As I worked at picking strawberries (let's agree to use the word "work" in a fairly loose sense here), I looked up to see Mrs. LeBrun eating a strawberry. "Ew!" I said. "That strawberry has ant pee on it!" She looked up at me, and without a moment of hesitation said, "Ant pee is what gives my cheeks their rosy glow." I think of her almost every time I eat a strawberry off the vine.

This morning we received the devastating news that Mrs. LeBrun, (Bunny, but she will always be Mrs. LeBrun to me) passed away while vacationing with her husband and some of the circle of friends in the Dominican Republic. Mr. LeBrun is working with the Embassy to bring her home to her son, her daughter, and their families.  Please keep her family and friends in your prayers.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

She and her family, as well as you and yours, are in my prayers.

KelliGirl said...

Oh, Pookie. I am so sad for you and Marm and PapaBear. I know how close they all were. You all - and the LeBruns - are in my prayers. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you or your parents.

I do love how you found such a sweet, fun, happy memory to focus on....I know there are many more, too, and I hope they bring you some peace.

Love you. XOXOXO

Jennifer said...

It was a shock to all at the Snuggery... The 1st person I thought of was your mom. I said, "Poor Gwen....". Thoughts and prayers to all of you...

Beth said...

You bet. Glad the memories are so sweet, and hoping beyond hope that she comes home to her family soon.