Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Throwing Down the Gauntlet

About a week or so ago I got an email about the Adirondack Half Marathon and thought: "I should just train like I was going to run that." Then I was talking to my friend Amy via FB about it yesterday and somewhere along the way she asked me if I was serious about actually doing it and I said yes. WHAT?! I did, it is in writing. I looked at it a few moments ago just to confirm it wasn't some chemo-steroid induced dream, but I really did. She already registered!

Tonight I thought: "I should probably start running if I am going to run 13.1 miles in September," because you all might remember my earlier post about my last attempt to do such a thing. (For those who missed that one, it wasn't pretty.) I found and tossed on my running gear, grabbed my iPod, and headed out for the first time in well over a year for a run. I opted not to wear my watch. I am going to go timer-free this time, which if tonight is any indication, will make me twitch a great deal. Anyhow, let's just say I made it for the full distance I wanted to go, but I have quite a way to go before September.

But, then there is this other event. An open water swimming event in August that I had decided I was going to try to do, no matter what. It is a cable swim in Mirror Lake in Lake Placid, NY. There is a 2-mile version I completed two years ago and also 1-mile version. I planned to do the 1-mile version this year (I am a little practical) and emailed my coach a question about it last night. The next thing I knew a certain individual with the initials DDD emailed me to inform me I was registered. That will teach me to ask questions, won't it?

In one day I managed to sign up for both a 1-mile open water swim and a 13.1 mile run. I think chemotherapy makes me nuts.

If you care to join me (and some other great folks) on either endeavor, here are the links to register. And don't let me hold you back ~ try the 2 mile cable swim or the full marathon!

Betsy Owens Memorial Lake Swims:
https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1538&smid=3960

Adirondack Marathon Distance Festival:
http://www.adirondackmarathon.org/

10 comments:

Vickie said...

I'll see you on the swim! 1 mile that is.......

Jeanne said...

You are an amazing and inspirational woman, whether you mean to be or not. . .

angela said...

Look at you go! Amazing, Amazing, Amazing!!!

liz austin said...

Wow!

Beth said...

I'm smiling because I love it!

kellyh said...

Suzanne - when Amy mentioned it to me, I was so excited and signed up instantly. I love a good half marathon... and I'm incredibly proud to be running this one with "Team SMAC"!! Kelly

Jessica Kane said...

Wow. I had absolutely no thoughts about running or swimming until I read your words. Hmmm. You are amazing, Suzanne. Looking forward to reading your next entry. xxoo

Deb Roberts said...

You go! I will definitely be there for the swim. You even had me consider for a micro-second that I should do the 1/2. But then I suddenly remembered that I can't run....

KelliGirl said...

I'm your water and towel girl! :)

Beth said...

Darn it, Kelli! I wanted those jobs!