Friday, April 6, 2012

Cuddling

I am a firm believer in my boys going to bed in their own beds. And I used to be a stickler for keeping them in their beds if they woke up in the middle of the night. Now, as the photo below shows, I don't worry so much about that. Last night our king bed had me, Rory, Ky, and Kelly, with Crosby in his crib next to the bed. Crowded? Yes. Cozy? Yes. Awesome? Yes.

Can I tell you how sweet it is to have two little boys say "cuddle, cuddle" to you and then curl up as close as they can? I know in my pre-cancer world I didn't always embrace these opportunities. In fact, I often tried to get the child in question over on Kelly's side because he could somehow sleep through the heels digging into his back and the nudging as Rory or Ky tried to inch in just a little closer.

Now, those boys make a peep and they are able to come into our bed. Scared? Dark? No idea why, just that you want to? Come on over! I am grabbing onto any chance I can to spend just another second with my kiddos ~ even if we are all sound asleep in a big heap.


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Very much in agreement. With Jackson we were slave drivers making sure he was in his bed and not ours. With the addition of the second kid and lack of energy/fortitude, we have been more than happy to have Dillon crash with us more nights than not.

I can't say I enjoy the heels digging into my - um - body parts, but it sure is nice to cuddle and be adored for being who you are.

liz austin said...

Love it! My boys are aloud to come in after 4 a.m. enjoy all the cuddling!

Unknown said...

Love, love, love this! These are the best memories!

DebG said...

We always had a no questions asked policy in my house. If they were up, if they were scared, if they didn't feel well, if they just liked my pillows better...they were welcome. For a short period of time, the boys and I would sleep like sardines in a twin sized bed at Grandma's. I got very good at sleeping on an inch of bed and not falling out. Analyze away Freud...

angela said...

I worked really hard on having the children put themselves to sleep after a story and hugs and kisses. But after Kenny went to the hospital and we were apart from Kate for nine days, I couldn't even think of keeping them apart. It still amazes me how perspectives can change once you have to go through something. What you think is important changes into what you KNOW is important. Having those babies in your arms, feeling their breath, and their warmth can never be replaced by any sleep training method that we may read about someday. I know you, Kelly and those little boys of yours couldn't be happier sleeping in your big heap! Sweet dreams!

Beth said...

Some of the best moments are those during which we're bending the rules ;-)

KelliGirl said...

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun."
~ Katharine Hepburn

:)

KelliGirl said...

And I can't believe you wouldn't let the Boi show me this pic on his phone, and then you posted it! :)