Friday, March 23, 2012

6:57 pm on a Friday

There were a great many phone calls today between doctor folk and me, which I won't rehash. I will only tell you about the last one, which was the most important one.

Dr. O from Dana Farber (the fellow who works with Dr. Chan) called to let me know the tumor board did not review my case yesterday because the slides from the liver tissue tests were not yet complete (the pathology). They were completed by this evening.

In watered down terms, the slides showed that my liver tissue reacted to a test that checked for a connection between the liver tumors and the cervical tumors. This, on its own, would indicate that the cancer in my liver is metastasized cervical cancer. However, the blood tests, urine tests, and OctreoScan produced results that conflict with a diagnosis of metastasized cervical cancer. That being said, in cancer diagnosis - pathology rules, and the pathology is not in my favor right now.

What does this mean? It means that the folks at Dana Farber will now have an actual tumor board to discuss me early next week. At that meeting they will try to sort through the piles of murky information they have to come up with a diagnosis and treatment course. They will talk to both Dr. S and to me, and we will go from there.

In talking to Dr. S today, I did tell him that if we weren't doing something for treatment, that I was just showing up Wednesday and having SOMETHING injected into this port. He was amused...I think.


4 comments:

KelliGirl said...

If you don't swear, can we?

Stupid pathology. There is something going on in your liver that is NOT related to the cervical cancer....like we said last night, that first pathologist went over it multiple times; agonized over it.

I will pray they can sort it out properly, quickly, and correctly so you can get some damn treatment started ASAP.

I still believe.

Betsy Boodle said...

Hey Suzanne, how bout we just go on ahead and shoot some chambord or grey goose into that port and get it ready the important stuff. We gotta keep it ready to go!
Thinking of you everyday. ;) Boodle.

Meg said...

Horseshit. I am starting to think "pathology" is one of those mythical things like unicorns, or moderate Republicans...

They know our mascot is a ninja, yes?

Beth said...

The most positive thing I can say in response to this post is that I'm glad they'll be including you in their discussions - you, and all patients, deserve that.