Monday, March 12, 2012

Sand Pictures

In the weeks after we lost Cora, we desperately were searching for some way to honor her memory, but we were too caught up in our grief to find something appropriate and tangible. Then one day, via email, my friend Meg sent me a picture of Cora's name written in the sand with an expanse of ocean in the background. She had given us a great gift, a way to honor Cora that deeply spoke to us and comforted us.

We then asked some friends to help us celebrate Cora's life by following suit and writing her name in the sand, taking a picture, and sending it to us. For us, these pictures act as small tokens of remembrance, fleeting memorials, that Cora lived and is remembered.

The link below will bring you to many, but not all, of the sand pictures that have been sent to us from all over the world. We expected a few close friends to participate. We have been overwhelmed by how many people have sent us pictures of Cora's name written in the sand. So many of them have wonderful backstories. Someday soon I hope to put each photo in a book along with the location, date, photographer, and backstory.


117 pictures
Click here to view these pictures larger
The filename of each picture tells the location and date of each photo.

7 comments:

KelliGirl said...

It never ceases to amaze me how the pictures bring such peace...I smile as I look at them. I know I've said it before, but what a wonderful way to honor the sweet spirit of Cora.
And I cannot wait to write her name myself!
X0X0

The Amusing Redhead said...

There are no words that can explain how I feel when I see those pictures. I feel so sad for your loss, so touched by all of the sweet people you have in your life. Bittersweet.

Beth said...

It's awesome how each of these pictures contains the same name and sentiment, but has its own distinct and beautiful interpretation. I was so happy to be able to participate!

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Wow! These pictures are beautiful. So beautiful to think of your daughter being remembered all over the world.

McKenna said...

How amazing, I remember when we had Hadley's name written in the sand for us I just kept thinking how amazing it was that someone else somewhere was writing her name. Such a comforting feeling.

Unknown said...

It is amazing how seeing their name can bring you such an amazing feeling of peace and comfort. So sorry for your loss! Visiting from #HugsfortheHolidays

Mrs4444 said...

This is one of the best ideas I've ever seen. I'm sorry for your loss, and I appreciate your sharing this.