Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Learning Curve

A few days back, a neighbor who went through chemo for breast cancer brought me some of her favorite hats and head scarves from her hair-free days. Tonight I tried to put one on. I realized that I have no idea how to tie it ~ my version looked very "pirate maiden-esque." (I don't suggest Googling that, nothing good could come of that search.) But, I am not worried. Turns out the Wood Cancer Center has a class for that.

This week was off from appointments, but not off from the cancer center. Tuesday night I had my chemotherapy education course (required...I don't know what they do if you are a no show...). Turns out it was pretty helpful in terms of learning to navigate the cancer center. It was there I learned about the "tie a scarf on your head/learn to draw eyebrows" class. It has a much nicer name, but I can't remember it.

I also learned they offer a couples massage training course: 8 hours of training. Sounds tempting, yes? It would be, except for the fact when I was pregnant with Rory, Kelly and I took a pregnancy massage class. The sum total of massages I have received from Kelly since that class: 0. (And no, dear, you rubbing my foot as you hop into bed does not count.) This paragraph is what one would call a tangent. (Math! It is everywhere.)

I also learned on Tuesday I need to get a port because, if you recall, I have crap veins. I was not overly excited about this development, but then on Thursday I went to my first "cancer support" meeting. At a bar. I chatted with one woman for 15 minutes before she mentioned she had a port in her arm. I didn't even notice it, though that might have been the bar lighting. Mine will likely be in my chest wall, but still, seeing one "in place" made it much more appealing. As did hearing from just about everyone that the port made things so much easier.

Other cancer support group knowledge: my eyelashes will fall out. I figured out the eyebrows on my own. But my eyelashes?!? Isn't that weird?

The point of this rambling entry is that there is a huge learning curve to having cancer. I mean, the meds and treatments are the biggest parts of that curve, but there are also all these other little things. Like how to prep for chemo, not just how to deal with the after effects; and what a "Nadir day" is; and that at some point I won't have eyelashes, and how to tie a scarf so I don't look like I am auditioning for the Pirates of the Caribbean, Part 14.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I soooo love reading your posts!! You're so awesome!!

Unknown said...

I had thought there was one massage, but that was over four years ago - my memory isn't very good...

KelliGirl said...

It is a ton of information to absorb on top of all the medical "stuff." I don't know how you do it. Are you carrying around a notebook? I think I would have to!

Oh, FYI - there are some pretty impressive false eyelashes at the drugstore. Think of the fun we could have! ;)

Cory said...

That's why they make pre-tied scarves - I'll send you mine. And the port is great...much easier than getting an IV every treatment. Welcome to the world of cancer fun facts! You are learning it all with grace and courage!

EmilyOrange said...

You are one of the smarter people I know and you can learn it even though you don't want to. Even though I don't know all of the medicine I can still help my friends with their nursing homework. I think fake eyelashes these days are supposedly "voluminous" so that might be fun to see. Also, I am pretty sure they are only on Pirates of the Caribbean Part 5 for the record. You can do it and the rest of us can share what we know (10 mins outpatient = 6 hours impatient).

Unknown said...

so, reiki is for you, whenever you want! from me to you!! We'll talk more Wednesday!

Anonymous said...

You are so amazing Suzanne,I am always amazed at how well you can put so many feelings into words. The port is definately the way to go. Scott had one and so did Dans wife (for her chemo treatments).

Shannon said...

I'm that neighbor that dumped you with those scarves! I couldn't tie them in any fancy way, even with the booklet from the cancer center! ;) I was pirate Shannon all the way. I really only wore one when I was at the grocery store, the public didn't need to see my misshapen head. I'm sorry to hear I missed another good cancer club meeting, my worked OT, the nerve of him! COme hell or high water, I'm at the next one! Don't worry about the port, it makes treatment so much easier. My decided to crap out during treatment yesterday. IV's for me in my only one goos vein in the usable arm. Hang tough! I'm around the bend if you need me!!