Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Steadfast

I keep thinking it must be exhausting to be one of my "gatekeepers." My gatekeepers: Kelly, my parents, Kelli-girl; the people who somehow have to decide what to tell me or what not to tell me based on what other people tell them or ask them. Let me put this out there: tell me anything, ask me anything. Whether I have 8 months or 8 years, I can handle it, and really, if we don't talk about it now, when will we?

Ah, got that off my chest.

Turns out yesterday was the good surgery day. Today it hurts and I am tired. So I am going to take the "easy" way out and share with you the words from part of a sermon that my minister, John Barclay, gave on the day Crosby was baptised. The whole sermon is well worth reading (www.fpcgf.org - Speaking the Truth We Know), but this section, in particular, spoke to me.

"But one day Sara walked to front of the sanctuary and said to the congregation: "I want to tell you something: I have AIDS and it will kill me. I do not have long now. I know you are praying for me, and I am grateful. You may not know this, but in the early church, those who were sick and dying would often stand before the congregation, not only to receive prayers, but give testimony. That is why I am here. I hate what has happened to me; but I want you to know that I trust in Jesus Christ. He also suffered and has promised that suffering will not have the last word. My faith is not shaken, and I am not afraid. When it comes to you, and suffering will come to you, remember that I was here, and remember that Jesus is stronger than suffering. Do not be afraid.""

I am not as steadfast as Sara. My faith is shaken, I rage and I question, but it is still there in its somewhat fragile form.

2 comments:

Flugmacher said...

i question my faith all the time. i think its overrated. the one thing that always gets me through the fear and anger is LOVE. there is so much of it around you. Take it for a ride while the faith is shaken. i love you suzanne murhy

KelliGirl said...

I cried through that sermon in church, and it brings the tears again here. Powerful stuff.

My throat is raw from the raging and shouting, but my faith holds, too. Remember, "the tiniest thread will twist into an unbreakable cord." We'll wind our threads together.

XOXO

(P.S. - I tell you everything! Okay, okay, I give you Julie, but I broke! And we were plotting for good!)