Saturday, March 17, 2012

Dana Farber Day

Turns out the folks at Dana Farber are, in fact, mortals.
Recap of the day below.

Doc #1, aka Dr. B - gyn oncologist
I am not going to name Dr. B by her full name because I am not a fan. Not. At. All.
She came and showed me the two pathology reports that the pathologists at Dana Farber (henceforth, DF) generated. The cervical analysis matched what we knew, the liver did not. She is convinced the pathologist at DF is correct and staged me back to cervical cancer 4B. In other words, the cancer in the liver is metastasized cervical cancer, not carcinoid (see the Reality entry for why this is bad news). I attempted to ask questions about her diagnosis based on what Dr. S and Dr. H had told me, and she pretty much blew me off (she wouldn't even review the tests that her department asked me to have and bring with me on disc).

Kelly and I walked out of that room frustrated and deeply upset. I felt that she wrote me off without really examining all of the evidence and knew that I would get no where trying to talk with her.

Doc #2, Dr. Chan - gastrointestinal oncologist
Everything that Dr. B was not, Dr. Chan was. I would send you all to hug her now because she, and her fellow, Dr. O, were amazing.
They actually looked at those test results that I brought and felt, based on those that the most recent diagnosis of two cancers (processes) was the most likely scenario. That being said, they would not sign off on that without more testing of the tissue samples, because it is possible Dr. B is right (I did not like typing that!). The testing is going to happen next week, and then my case is going to be brought before one of the DF tumor boards. That is where everyone involved gets together and settles on a diagnosis and the best-course treatment plan. The tumor board will meet on Thursday, so the wait is not too long.

The other big issue the St. Peter's pathologist and the DF pathologist do not agree on is the activity of the liver tumor that was sampled. St. Peter's says it is a 1 (low activity), DF says it is a 3 (high activity). The treatment will be different depending on the activity level, so that needs to be decided, if in fact, the tumor board agrees that the liver is carcinoid.

In between Dr. B and Dr. Chan I called "my" Dr. S who proved, yet again, why he gets the awesome label. He helped unmuddy the waters (that whole physician-to-physician thing...) and prevented me from climbing walls.

So, what does all of this mean?
1) It means I will not start treatment on Tuesday (say it with me: "It is essential to have the correct diagnosis before beginning treatment. It is essential to have the correct diagnosis before beginning treatment.")

2) It means we still need to sort out two major issues:
(a) Is this one process (cancer) - in both the liver and cervix or is it two processes - cervical cancer and carcinoid in the liver?
(b) If carcinoid in the liver, what is the activity level of the tumors?

3) Once those issues are sorted out, then treatment can begin. (Hey, have you heard me say that before?)

This is long...it is jargon-y (though by using the faux term jargon-y, I think I made it less so)...it adds more murk to the mix...it is my way of attacking cancer. Confusion!

4 comments:

KelliGirl said...

Dr. Chan can go up on the wall of heroes. Dr. B can go up on the dart board.

Temporary delay, baby steps forward.

"It is essential to have the correct diagnosis before beginning treatment." X 1,000....

X0X0

angela said...

I agree with KelliGirl x 1,000. (math is everywhere.) ;) Are you thinking after your visit to have another opinion? Does your gut tell you that you are in the right hands for treatment? Not that you dont have enough questions and confusion in your lap. We are here for you in whatever way we can be. And as always sending prayers everyday. I'm sorry that Dr. didn't give you the time that you deserve. How these people lose sight of the families that are in front of them, I will never understand. We will also pray that she will have more empathy for the patients that come her way.

Beth said...

Dr. B - meet me in the alley at sundown. Dr. Chan - thank you. Pulling for an accurate diagnosis - because we all know it is essential - followed by a quick start to treatment.

Di said...

Positive and negative..is that balance...hmph,,,,think thats how you spell that Suzanne grunt. We had somewhat the same feeling traveling to sloan-kettering. We did not have a bad experience dr. wise. Al just walked out of there and said he didn't want to go back.We found the cancer center in Glens Falls, found Dr. Grubbs and knew we were in the right hands.YOu have already found Dr. S...thank God you say Dr. S...like who can spell his name?! Cancellations are tough...lets get going and move forward. You are my hero. Think I will drive to Boston with my Boston Red Sox shirt on and bat,and find Dr. B! Please oh please prove I am not a robot, am not a robot....why can't I do this.? Is it my double vision or do I drink too much?